the original blue bell inn
The original Blue Bell Inn was constructed in 1743. Back then, the Inn was called the "White House" and provided lodging to hunters who traveled from afar in pursuit of a much-prized migratory bird. The Blue Bell Inn first opened its doors in 1743 to accommodate these travelers exhausted after days of hunting.
The Revolutionary war
During the American Revolutionary War, The Blue Bell Inn made its mark on American history. After the defeat at the Battle of Germantown, George Washington and his troops retreated to the Blue Bell area and made their headquarters on Lewis Lane from October 6th to December 15th, 1777. During this time, Washington often stayed at the Inn.
the famous blue bell
1796 - 1840
In 1796, a tower was erected over the Inn to house a distinct bell and the establishment’s name was changed from The White House to The Blue Bell Inn. In 1840 the local denizens elected to rename the town from “Pigeontown” to Blue Bell after the prominent blue bell atop of our Inn.
A montgomery county ICON
The Blue Bell Inn continued to switch hands throughout the course of history until 1945, when it was purchased by the prominent Lamprecht family. John Lamprecht took over the property in 1967 and re-opened it as a restaurant—one of the first fine dining establishments in the Montgomery County area. The restaurant maintained a respectable reputation for years.
A FAMILY FAVORITE RESTAURANT
In the 1990's The Blue Bell Inn coined its reputation as a family favorite local restaurant. Scott Dougherty, now a co-owner of The Blue Bell Inn, started working at The Blue Bell Inn and progressed from a busboy to maître d’ and then to general manager.
THE BLUE BELL INN AS YOU KNOW & LOVE IT
2013 - Today
In 2013, Bruce Goodman, Scott Dougherty and Kevin Clib purchased The Blue Bell Inn and, with the help of professional management and staff, transformed the Inn into the fine restaurant you see today.